If you’re planning to practice law in the future, you’ll first have to earn a law degree and pass the bar exam after figuring out where you’ll be going to college. But, since there are a lot of things you’ll need to figure out before you become a lawyer, you’ll want to have the best education you can get at a college you love. If you're unsure about where to go for a degree in pre-law, this blog is the perfect blog for you to read as you decide your future education.
What Is Pre-Law?
Explaining The Factors Of Pre-Law And What It Is
While many people think they’ll have to have a major relating to pre-law to get into law school, this is often a misconception about the major. Majors like English, history, science, philosophy, and political science are all great examples of majors you could get a degree in to help lead you towards a career in law. Unlike certain majors like nursing, to get into law school students don’t need a specific major or specific classes, they just need to remember that their GPA and LSAT scores are a big factor when it comes to applying to law schools after their undergraduate years.
Any type of pre-law major that you choose is designed to prepare future lawyers for law school so whichever one you decide on, whether that be political science or classes about the humanities, you’ll already be on your way towards law school at the end of your undergraduate years! It’s even better to know that since many colleges don’t even offer a pre-law program, there’s no worry in taking classes you’re interested in during your years in school. According to U.S.News, law school admissions officials want students to take courses they find compelling, as long as they’re challenging for them.
The Best Colleges
Which Colleges Are Best For A Major In Pre-Law
Now that we’ve successfully gone over what it takes to be in a pre-law major, we’ll have to discuss the best colleges for that specific major and track. Even though most schools don’t offer it as an actual major, there are still great places that do have it which will be listed below:
- Yale University. While you’ll have to be at the top of your class to get into this university, it’s because it’s considered the top law school in the country. Here you’ll be able to be on track towards everything law schools seek. Although this is one of the schools that doesn’t have a pre-law major in its program, it allows students to make their own program that would let them obtain any skills they’d need to get into law school.
- Harvard College. Another example of a top law school for undergraduates wanting a career in law is none other than Harvard. Although this school also doesn’t offer a traditional pre-law major, as a student you’re able to find your interests in your undergraduate years to then put into practice during your time at a law school. Being an Ivy League school will also help to get you into the law school of your dreams when you graduate!
- Northwestern University. Our first university on this list with a specific pre-law track is Northwestern. Here you’ll be able to get a sense of thinking critically about the relationship between society and law which you can study as a major or minor in their program.
- Georgetown University. Another college without a major specifically called pre-law is Georgetown University. While you attend this school, students are advised to take courses that need analytic thinking and written expression. Many of the students here have a major involving either social sciences or the humanities but with any major they pick, they’ll be able to have courses that can serve as a background for law.
Best Colleges Continued…
More Of The Best College List
- Michigan State University. As a school with a specific pre-law track, Michigan State University will help students learn about legal studies. It’s recommended for students who want to prepare for paralegal careers and those who want to work in law enforcement as well!
- University of Texas at Austin. By having one of the largest law fairs in the country each and every year, the University of Texas at Austin will prepare any student for success in a law career in the future. This university also allows for students to choose majors in the humanities and sciences to help prepare them for law school.
With whichever school you decide to go to and whatever major you decide to pick even if it’s not pre-law, these top colleges will help you make your way to a career in law. Although every program is a little different based on which school you decide to go to these schools are the top ones you’ll want to look at and apply to for a track towards becoming a lawyer.
Now go on ahead and get to applying to the places that seem amazing which are the ones conveniently listed here! Since there are many to choose from on this list, you’ll want to apply to the ones you like and wait to see where you get in! Good luck and get to studying for your future career in law!